Friday, September 12, 2014

It Is Only Him, Always and Forever.

If you haven't yet noticed, or don't know me well, I'm a bit of a words person. I love words. You'd know this if you ever saw one of my rough drafts for any paper I've ever written- I can't explain to you how many scribble marks, word substitutions, and arrows exist on those papers. I obsess over which word to use and when to use it, and I tend to change my mind a handful of times before I ever decide.

Let's just say the way a sentence is built is a big deal to me, because words matter.

Actually, I'm convinced words are a big deal, period. Not just to me, but in general. In fact, someone's words are what sparked this entry. The comment itself was small, but I think it represented a big issue in our understanding of who we are and who God is.

Ok, so let me tell you what happened. I was with some friends one day and one friend in particular was sharing an epic experience he had the night before when another Christian man prayed for him. My friend told the incredible story of the night, which involved angels and supernatural power, and many of us sat in awe of his words. Just as he finished telling his story, a few others exclaimed, in reference to the man who prayed with my friend, "He is so prophetic."

I think I got what they were trying to say, but all I could think was, "No, no he's not."

Maybe it's because I've been reading so much about the Holy Spirit in the book of Acts recently, but I couldn't accept that it was this man who was prophetic-it was the Spirit. Is it not the power of the Holy Spirit working through him that allows such signs, and does he not have the same Spirit that has been given to me, to my friends, and to all who accept Him? I thought.

Now, I'm sure those in Christian circles would argue, "Well of course we know it's by the power of the Spirit! We just say that." Yet, intentionally or not, by assigning such labels as "prophetic" on individuals, it's as if we don't know it's the Spirit because our words are giving credit to a human being.


We do ourselves a disservice in this way, somehow making it about what we've done and what we can do. It results in the subconscious belief that, even when we know it's the Spirit, He'll only "show up" in powerful ways if we've done something right, or holy, or religious. We make it about us when it's not, and we make it about others when it's not. 

The truth is, it's not about any of us- it's about the gift of the Holy Spirit, the love of God that gives it, and the sacrifice of Jesus that allows us to receive it.

"But Peter said, 'Silver and gold I do not possess, but what I have, this I give to you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene rise up and walk.' And he seized him by the right hand and raised him up; and instantly his feet and ankles were made strong ... and all the people saw him walking and praising God ... and while he was holding on to Peter and John, all the people ran together toward them greatly amazed. And when Peter saw this, he replied to the people, "Men of Israel, why are you marveling at this? Or why are you gazing at us, as though by our own power or godliness we have made him walk?" Acts 3:6-7, 9, 11-12

Peter says by faith in the name of God, in the name of Jesus, that it was He who made the man strong and whole in health. It wasn't Peter, but the Holy Spirit within him. Paul and Barnabas echo the same truth later in the book, proclaiming to be no more than mere men, when an entire people group begins to worship them as if they were gods.

Through the hands of the apostles came so many signs and wonders, that people began to carry the sick and crippled out into the streets in hope that even the shadow of an apostle would overshadow and thus heal them. Despite the obvious power that was upon them, these men never took credit and instead always boasted of the Spirit and His great power. They recognized it all for what it was: a gift, and a power not their own.

Yes, the Holy Spirit is a gift, and we can't offer His healing or deliverance if we have not yet received Him. You see, not only are we incapable of producing miracles, signs, and wonders by our own strength, but we also have nothing to give that hasn't first been given to us. My favorite passage illustrating this entire concept is one in 1 Chronicles when the people were presenting an offering to God:

"Yours, oh Lord, is the greatness and the power and the splendor and the victory and the majesty, indeed all that is in heaven and on earth; Yours, oh Lord, is the kingdom, and You are exalted as Head over all. Both riches and glory proceed from You, and You rule over it all. In Your hand are power and might, and it is in Your hand to make great and to give strength to all. Now therefore, our God, we thank You and praise Your glorious name. But who am I, and who are my people, that we should have strength to offer so willingly in this way? For all things are from You, and from Your hand we have given to You." 1 Chronicles 29:11-14

Everything is from God, and even as we give, we only give what He has first given us. We can't even give love- yes, love- without first receiving, for "we love because He first loved us (1 John 4:19)." Nothing we offer is truly ours, as whatever we give- time, money, prayer, power, even our talent- all comes from the Lord.

So, with all due respect, I believe it is His Spirit within us that is prophetic. Not you, nor me, nor him, nor her. No, Him.


"For from Him and through Him and for Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen." Romans 11:36

No comments:

Post a Comment