Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Let's Just Say I'm a Californian Michigander ... For Now.

I remember the first time I traveled a considerable distance outside my home state of Michigan on my own: I was 21 years old and I flew to San Diego, California. I was in my senior year of college and I had the travel bug bad. I've always had a fire in my heart for traveling, but it was at that time of my life when I couldn't contain it any longer; I simply had to go somewhere, and California was a dream I’d been waiting to make a reality. So, on a whim, I bought a ticket to San Diego and just a week later I was en route to the west coast.

I had an incredible time while I was out there, and I learned a few cool things, too. Well worth every penny I spent, that trip is actually one of my favorite weeks to reminisce about- I've gone back in my mind and my journal many times. Needless to say, it’s not unusual for me to travel back in time to my first experience in California, but today … well, today has been a different story.

It’s about two years later and I sit admiring the waves crashing on the shore, and their soothing melody which never grows old. I’m in a different time and a different place, yet my mind keeps taking me back to San Diego. I see myself walking on the beach in Coronado, standing on the cliff edges of Cabrillo, and running through the beautiful streets of Balboa Park. I try to fix my eyes on the book or the waves in front of me, but they only serve as a backdrop to the memories playing in my head. I feel I can’t stay in the present even if I try.

Cabrillo Cliffs, San Diego, 2013.
I wonder why I keep going back, and why I’m thinking about it right now. I don’t think I’m feeling nostalgic, nor can I think of anything that would've triggered it. I don’t really want to think about it, to be honest, because I want to be here; I want to be present.

Just then, I feel God speak to my heart, “Remember what I told you back then,” and James 4:13-15 comes to mind. I realize that it is God who wants me to remember, so I take myself back to the day in San Diego when God first spoke that verse to me.

I was sitting outside a coffee shop with my cinnamon latte and bible, ready to spend an afternoon with God. I scattered all of my things across the table, and dove in to the Word, my journal, and the book I was reading at the time. During my entire time there, I kept feeling directed to James 4:13-15. I didn't really know why, but after I had spent hours doing everything but follow such prodding, I finally opened up my bible to the short passage.

“Now listen, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.’ Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are but a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, ‘If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.’” James 4:13-15

I knew immediately where God was going with this. I was in such a restless season of my life back then, and I was constantly looking to and making plans for the future. I remember feeling trapped by the plans other people were making for my life, and relief was found only when I planned things even further, as if somehow I’d feel less suffocated that way. I was hardly living in the present, if at all- I was too preoccupied with my future and how I could plan around everyone else’s planning.

God spoke those verses to me that day in a coffee shop, and I knew He was telling me about a different way to live. He told me He didn't want me to be living in the future, nor to be obsessively mapping it out. He said that doing so wasn't really living at all, and that it was only stealing life from me. He expressed that He not only wanted me to live in the present, but to enjoy it- He wanted me to accept whatever and wherever He has brought me with joy. He wanted me to trust Him with my future, and He promised He would lead the way.

I could recall the day and all He spoke to me clearly, but I still didn't understand why He was bringing it up.

“I remember all of that, God, and it was really good. You spoke some great things to me that day, but why are you bringing it all back up now?”

“Because you’re doing it again.”

”Wait, doing what? Living in the future? No way!” I was stunned. I thought about all the ways I had let go of my planning and my futuristic thinking this year, and I honestly felt like the last thing I was doing was repeating such a way of life. “God, you know I trust you with my future now. I know I’m not perfect at it, but I don’t think I've gotten obsessive with plans and assumptions again. Have I?”

“I know you trust me, and no, you haven’t. But you’re still not living in the present. Now you’re living in the past.”

Once again, I knew exactly where God was going with this. It’s easy to know when God is hitting on something that is big in my life, because I know precisely what He is talking about when He brings it up. I suppose I knew I wasn't living in the present, but until He said it, I wasn't quite aware I was living in the past, either. God gently reminded me of all the moments throughout the past eight months in which I refused to allow myself to live in the present, showing me how I missed out on the gift He had for me each time.

Looking back to the Michigan
state line on my way to
California, 2014.
When I moved to California eight months ago, my life completely changed. Most days it felt like my previous life vanished and I started all over again, which I guess is what people say happens when you move somewhere new, right? That’s fine I suppose, unless you actually liked your life before. I loved my life in Michigan, even though I was indeed excited for new sights and adventures. When I arrived to California, however, it felt like a different life, not just a change of pace, and I was afraid that if I embraced this new life, I’d be losing the old one.

Because of that, I spent the year clinging to what once was. It wasn't so much that I hated the present, but that I really loved the past. I thought somehow I’d be replacing my life, my friends, and my home if I accepted and enjoyed where I was, so I convinced myself not to. In my mind it was all temporary, and eventually I’d return to the life, friends, and home I once had.

God showed me a handful of moments this year wherein I missed out on friendship, joy, and family because of this; my own resistance was a factor in my perpetual loneliness. He said He understood that I didn't want to replace my home or friends, but assured me none of those things could ever be replaced, anyway, only added to.  He also asserted that I can’t allow fear to dictate my actions and run my life, regardless of circumstance, and He called me to live in today.

As God was explaining all of this to me, I understood that I stole life from myself this year in an attempt to preserve what I once had. I knew I couldn't go back and change any of it, though, so I asked God what He wanted me to do with all of this new-found understanding.

“You’re about to do it again,” He said. “Don’t.”

It took only a moment of thought for me to comprehend what He was saying. I instantly thought back to the times others asked if I would be going home to Michigan between school years and I answered, “I’m staying,” with a distasteful tone. Again, it wasn't so much that I hated the present- I didn't even think I was that upset about staying- but that I had a life back in Michigan, and the longer I was away the less I felt like it was even my life anymore.

“Don’t you see?” He said. “You’re still living there in your heart, but what I have for you today is to be living here, in California. It’s okay to love it, but I've asked you to leave it.”

Now, I realize that this isn't a rebuke about loving my home state, my family, or my friends. It’s not God asking me to forget the things of the past and move on as if my life there had never happened. No, in fact, He’s actually reassuring me that those things will always be a part of my life and my heart, and that they cannot and will not be replaced.  

I hear quite clearly what God is saying, has said, and may say to me again: live in the present. Live in today. Take whatever I have given you for the day with joy. Just as I wanted your trust for the future, I want your trust in your past and in your present. Trust that you are right where I want you for today.

I stole a lot from myself these past eight months, and I probably stole from others, too, because I wasn't willing to wholly be here in my heart. I missed out on many friendships because I didn't want to open my heart to people who were only temporary in my life- maybe if I had they wouldn't have been temporary. I missed out on joy because I was too busy thinking, “It’s nice, but it’s not like home.” I was stuck in comparison and my past always had the upper hand. Maybe if I had accepted this place for what it was, I would've enjoyed it much more. I missed out on feeling like I belonged, either to this place or this family, because I insisted I belonged in my life back in Michigan. Maybe if I had let go sooner, I would've belonged here, too, and I wouldn't have felt so isolated and lonely all year.

Yes, it’s justified for me to miss home. It’s justified for me to miss my friends and my church. It may even be justified for me to dislike the salty ocean when compared to freshwater Great Lakes, but nothing justifies living in the past when God calls us to live in the present. When we try to live anywhere else but today, we’re not really living, anyway. We’re robbing life from ourselves in our attempt to preserve it and, if we’re stuck in the future, in our attempt to plan it.

I’ll always be from Michigan, and it will always be my home, but maybe years from now I’ll be able to look back on California and know that it too, for a season, was my home. And maybe I’ll even have another place to call home after I leave here and another after that. Maybe God will bless me with the gift of families and homes all across the country, and maybe even the world! What an amazing gift that would be, yet one I won’t receive if I’m always living in Michigan in my heart. Living in the past traps us, and living in the future depresses, stresses, and inhibits us. It is only in the present where we can live life abundantly.

So be wherever you are. Receive whatever gift God has for you in this moment, in this place. Don’t look back, and don’t look ahead; look up, and there you will find life for today.    

No comments:

Post a Comment