Tuesday, November 11, 2014

We Need Him Like Water

I want to be honest with you: I didn't want to write this post. I was so discouraged, in fact, I wasn't sure I’d ever write another blog post again. I didn't think it mattered. Even as God prompted me to write this morning, I told Him I didn't want to anymore. Not like this, anyway.

I explained to Him how I felt it wasn't making any difference to anyone, yet it was emotionally draining and risky for me because I write with such vulnerability. I questioned why I should open my heart so much if it didn't even matter, and the answer I gave myself was that I shouldn't.

God patiently responded to me, but He didn't try to convince me that my writing mattered, that people were reading my blog, or remind me of the great importance of impacting even a single soul. Instead, He said to me, “Be faithful with little, and I will give you much.”

I wish I could tell you right now that I believe in my writing. I wish I could say that I believe what I’m about to write is important and it’ll change you. I wish I could say that I believe it is worth it. I can’t.  All I can say is that I believe in the God who speaks to me, God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, and I believe that He can (and will) speak to you as you read this, regardless of whatever words I choose to put on this page.

Maybe that’s all I need to believe, anyway, for my writing to make a difference.

So here I am writing when it’s the last thing I’d like to do, just to be faithful to the God I believe in, because I trust that He will move and speak and touch hearts even through my simple words. That is my prayer for you, friend. I hope and pray this matters.

............

God spoke to me this morning about my great need for Him, and He did so through my friend Fred. For this to make sense to you, I must let you know Fred isn't exactly my friend in the typical sense: he is my water bottle. Originally he carried a brand of water named Fred, and so I've jokingly called him such ever since. This bottle is super cool because it carries an entire liter of water, which means I only have to drink the whole thing twice to get my daily amount. I appreciate this, because Fred has been faithful in keeping me hydrated throughout a long week of work during which I’d usually become dehydrated. Plus, it’s a slim bottle, so it’s not awkward to carry around.  

Okay, back to my story: God using Fred to speak to me. So, I walked into the break room at work today consumed by great sadness. I was so full of hurt, anger, insecurity and discouragement that I didn't think I’d be able to make it through the day without crying out on the show floor. I knew I desperately needed to hear the voice of my Father if I were going to function at all today.  I sobbed as I sat at an empty table, repeating the same four words over and over again. “I need you, God. I need you. God, I need you.” I needed His light to break through the darkness that was surrounding me, and assuredly enough, God was faithful. He gave me the strength, comfort, and peace I needed in that moment.

My eyes started to dry and my burdens began to lift, and I praised God for His goodness. I sat back feeling better, yet still as if I weren't ready to face the day. Then God said to me, “It’s not enough.”

Huh?

“It’s not enough to come to me when you’re thirsty. That will not satisfy you. You must drink of me, of my life-giving water, continually every day. If you don’t hear my voice or feel my presence in the little things, the big things will never be enough.”

I began to cry (ironically, because I had just finished crying) as I understood how true God’s words to me were.

“I do God, you’re right! I need you all the time. Every day. In every moment! Not just the difficult ones. I need you like… like …”

“Like water.”

“Yes!” As He said it I knew He meant more than the mere similarity of survival. No, I was sure He meant the way in which I need water is also the way in which I need Him: constantly. 

If you’re not trailing with me at this point, let me explain. You see, we humans need a lot of water. The consensus is about 64 ounces of required water per day, which is equivalent to drinking a two-liter bottle of pop each day (but filled with water, of course). Plus, that amount is only the basic minimum. If you drink coffee daily, you need more water. If you exercise, you need more water. If you work outside, you need more water. Our lifestyles and the choices we make affect our necessary amount of water intake.

So that’s a lot of water, right? I mean, a two-liter of water is pretty hefty. How are you going to drink all of that in one day? It’s simple, really. You’re going to carry around a water bottle with you everywhere you go and drink it one sip at a time. Maybe you’ll take a few big gulps in the morning to get you started, but if you do it throughout the day you’ll end up drinking more water than you even thought possible.

Do you see what I’m trying to say here? This is how we need the Lord!

Just as we wouldn't quench our thirst for the entire day by drinking a glass of water in the morning, neither can we quench our thirst for God by a mere hour of “quiet time” or bible study after we wake. We need Him as we need water: constantly. Maybe that looks like a day consisting of five-minute prayers here and a few short worship songs there, with a few intermittent chunks of bible reading. Maybe it looks like a simple, continual conversation with God throughout the day. I’m sure it could look like a lot of different things, to be honest, yet they all will look like carrying a water bottle around so you can drink from it perpetually.

This is what God was explaining to me today; that I desperately need Him, and I need Him continually. I need Him even when I don’t feel thirsty, just as we need water. (Side note: when you feel thirsty for water, technically you are already dehydrated). I need to hear His voice all the time, and not just when I need the affirmation. I need to feel His presence all the time, and not just when I need the strength.

It is the constant relationship with God that keeps me spiritually hydrated, not just the monumental moments.


The grand experiences with God are great and I don’t deny their significance, but I will always run dry if I don’t drink all the time. God isn't someone I need solely when I’m upset or hurt or afraid. He is faithful to me and present with me in those times, of course, but if I only seek Him in those certain times, it will never be enough. 

Indeed, it is true. I need God like I need water: constantly. 

8 comments:

  1. Hey Mary, I want to thank you for your faithfulness to write this post! I for one look forward to each and every post that you write, I've been waiting for a new one! lol I usually check weekly. I was recently encouraged by God when facing similar thoughts, I wondered if my posts on social networks about our Father God were making any impact. As I was paying for gas one day the cashier recognized me by name and asked me about Jesus, I didn't remember her but she was a coworker of mine from almost seven years ago. Facebook had given her the opportunity to see what God had been doing in my life. She opened up to me about health problems that her husband was experiencing and I was able to pray with her right at that moment. The entire experience was a humbling experience of Gods power and what He could from simple posts. My prayer is that you stay encouraged and know that God is working through you and your posts! I also love what you wrote about in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cody- thank you so much! You have no idea how encouraging your words are, and I am grateful you took the time to share them with me. It is wonderful to hear what God has been doing in your life. What an amazing story about the cashier! I'm sure that was super encouraging for you, and indeed a testimony of how greatly God can use our simple posts. Thank you once again for sharing! I'm delighted to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure and it's awesome to see what God is doing in your life as well! So I have a great opportunity that I'm stepping into soon, I'm heading out your way, to California, to do a internship at a church in Isla Vista. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, no way! That's wonderful. What kind of internship is it? And how long will you be in that area?

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I'm pumped!! The internship is pretty cool, it allows the opportunity to create the internship according to your goals and needs. It offers different tracks of focus to dive into each week such as evangelism, worship, church administration, prayer and prophetic lifestyle, along with others. It's right next to UCSB so a lot of the ministry is geared towards college students. I'll be there for around 6 weeks and I'm also going to be in the San Jose area for a little while visiting family. What area are you around?

      Delete
    4. Wow, that sounds like an amazing opportunity! I'm glad to hear that. Congratulations- I hope it's everything you hope for! :)

      Delete
  3. Hah! This post is great. I just recently started drinking 96 oz of water per day because I hear it's good for you or something . I just walk around all day drinking water little by little. It wasn't even that hard getting used to and now if I drink less, it feels like I'm parched! It all seems ridiculous to me since before this, I might only drink a couple glasses of water per day and no where near 96oz!! Anyway, this analogy of God being like water is speaking so clearly to me right now. It's easy for me to get up and say a prayer in the morning, but so often that immediately changes when I get to work, and I go all day without a thought about him. I haven't thought about it much until reading this post and now I'm inspired to find ways I can invite God into my day. Thanks so much for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! This post is great. I just recently started drinking 96 oz of water per day because I hear it's good for you or something . I just walk around all day drinking water little by little. It wasn't even that hard getting used to and now if I drink less, it feels like I'm parched! It all seems ridiculous to me since before this, I might only drink a couple glasses of water per day and no where near 96oz!! Anyway, this analogy of God being like water is speaking so clearly to me right now. It's easy for me to get up and say a prayer in the morning, but so often that immediately changes when I get to work, and I go all day without a thought about him. I haven't thought about it much until reading this post and now I'm inspired to find ways I can invite God into my day. Thanks so much for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete