Thursday, July 30, 2015

What We Don't Want To Hear, Pt. 1


"Let's talk about Leviticus," said nobody in the 21st century, ever. Ok, that's not entirely true, because I myself have actually said those exact words a few times. Maybe I'm a little misguided. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. Maybe, just maybe, I think Leviticus actually has something worthwhile to teach us.

But let's face it, Leviticus is probably on the list of top five books of the Bible no Christian wants to read. Based on the reactions I get from people when I talk about it, I'd even say it may just be number one. "It's boring, outdated, and flat-out weird," they'll say. Well, I will agree with them on two-out-of-three. 

I won't try to pretend Leviticus is the most riveting chunk of scripture you'll ever read, nor will I act as if there aren't a ton of strange commands written there. Though I don't agree that it's outdated, I understand why many people can think so. I once did, too. But in an age where Leviticus scriptures are thrown around by both Christians and non-Christians alike (one to support a point, and one to claim how ridiculous their point is), I'm going to say it once more: let's talk about Leviticus. 

As Christians, I understand it can be complicated to grasp the relationship between the law of the Old Testament and the law of grace. I don't fully understand it myself, but I think I've begun to. I think it is a natural response, as children of the latter law, to make a mental note of sorts that says the Old Testament books of law, such as Leviticus, have no relevancy or importance anymore. Yet in my studies and prayers through this book, I am continually overcome by the revelations and importance hidden in its pages. 

So how can we read this book (or at least tolerate the fact that it exists in the Bible) with a proper outlook? Is it possible to be aware of the commands listed and still be confident in the wisdom, grace, and love of God? I certainly think so, and I think an appropriate understanding of its relevancy or lack thereof is exactly where one needs to start. 

First things first, let me say that we are no longer slaves to the law. Once upon a time, God gave His people a host of laws which they were to live by, and they were to do so or face the consequences of His judgment. They were slaves to this law. We would've been, too, had it not been for Jesus who came to bring about a new way. 

In Paul's letter to the Romans, he put it this way:

“Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God ... now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code," (Romans 7:4,6).

"Sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under the law, but under grace," (Romans 6:14).

In Galatians he describes the law as a guardian that protected God's people until the time of faith. 

"So then the law has become our guardian unto Christ that we might be justified out of faith, but since faith has come, we are no longer under this guardian. For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus," (3:25-26)

So the law is no longer our master. We do not live under the same list of laws which God's people once did. We mustn't fret when we, as bacon lovers, read that pigs are classified as unclean animals- such restrictions are not for us anymore. We must, however, keep in mind that Jesus Himself warned us, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law of the prophets; I have not come to abolish, but to fulfill," (Matthew 5:17). We must remember that Jesus didn't do away with the law as if it were a mistake. He made a better way, but he didn't discount the old one. 

Though 21st century Christians no longer abide by the literal applications of the laws listed in Leviticus, there is a symbolism and principle within them that still stands. God gave us the law, and though we are no longer slaves to it, it can still instruct us in how to live. If we are wise, we will listen; but we'll get to that later. 

For now, remember this: we are no longer slaves to the old law. We now live under the law of grace. 

The second aspect I want to discuss is the idea of being holy. Throughout Leviticus, God instructs His people to be holy because He is holy. He says it as He gives instruction regarding clean and unclean animals, as He gives practical examples of the Ten Commandments, and again and again throughout this book known for its commands and stipulations. "For I am the Lord your God. Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy," Leviticus 11:44).

I don't know about you, but that one verse was so intimidating to me the first time I read it. It was simple enough- God is holy, and He wants us to be holy as He is- but you see, I'm not perfect. That verse suddenly brought to mind every wrong thing I've ever done and every rule I've ever broken, and I became overwhelmed feeling as though I must measure up to God, but assuredly never would. Such an impossible task is immensely daunting and discouraging. 

As Christians, we can fall into the trap of believing holiness is something for which we must work. We think we must do everything properly in order to please God, and if we mess up, we hang our head in shame because we once again missed the mark of holiness. Yet this mindset is so misguided, and we will surely fail to glean anything from reading the law if we are still bound to it. 

Remember, we are free from the law. That means we do not receive our holiness, justification, nor redemption from following it. 

Paul says, "Out of the works of the law no flesh shall be justified before Him," (Romans 3:20).

The way to be holy, to be justified and redeemed, is not through the law but through Christ. The truth is that by His grace, we have already been made holy. God already calls us holy. 

"Because of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and holiness and redemption," (1 Corinthians 1:30).

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession..." (1 Peter 2:9).

"For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being made holy." (Hebrews 10:14). 

We must remember that we are holy through Christ Jesus. He has redeemed us, justified us, and made us holy before the Lord. We are dressed in His righteousness- clothed in the holiness of the Holy One. We mustn't mistake this to mean that we are perfect human beings who can never fall short, for surely we know that we are all capable of sin. Indeed, we are still in the process of being transformed from glory to glory (see 2 Corinthians 3:18), but before God we are considered holy. 

In God's eyes, He sees in us and on us the holiness of Christ. That is the gift of grace, and nothing we do or don't do can take from us this gift Jesus came to give. 

We are considered holy before God, and we are free from the law. This is where we start.

I believe if we understood this wholeheartedly, it would open our eyes to what the book of the law has to teach us. We wouldn't be suffocated by all the rules we feel we must follow, nor overwhelmed by the pressure to measure up to God's level of holiness. We would be free to read the book and ask, "God, what are you saying to me in this? What do you have to say to us in the 21st century?"

And truth be told, we should ask these questions because, "All scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work," (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

So if we are no longer under the law, do we use the book of the law in our lives today? What principles are there that still apply to us now? The answer is yes, and plenty. Check out my next post shortly, and I'll share more details of some revelations God has given me through Leviticus about who He is and who we are to be. 

Until then, saints.

2 comments:

  1. Years ago when I studied Leviticus in Bible study Fellowship, it excited me to learn and understand it for the one reason you mentioned: The Lord says we are to be holy as He is holy. Years later I realize I can rest in the finished work of the cross knowing He has made me righteous because of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. That is the beauty of grace, indeed. What a peace-giving and load-lightening revelation that is. His blood is power!

      Delete