Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Letter to my Body

This entry is inspired by and dedicated to the current National Eating Disorder Awareness Week.  

Dear friend,

Oh how I don’t even deserve to call you that.

I have betrayed you. I have betrayed you in the worst possible way, and I am ashamed.

I can’t even imagine what you must think of me, but I wouldn't blame you for any of it. I have treated you terribly despite your constant loyalty to me. I know that I have a lot of ground to cover if I am ever to make this right again, and I understand that I can’t undo any of the horrible things that I did to you.

For that, I am so so sorry.

I've never treated you as a friend. I have never treated you as though you were worthy of love, attention, care, or admiration. Rather, I have believed and acted upon the lie that you are worthless and you are wrong; that you are a source of shame.

I have spoken to you so harshly; thrown at you demeaning daggers of lies. I've looked right at you and told you how disappointed and disgusted I was with you. There were times I couldn't even bring myself to look at you.

I was so shallow and hurtful. 

I let other people talk so cruelly about you. I let them tease you and call you terrible names. I sat silently by as they slandered you and told me how worthless and ugly you were. I never defended you, and instead I accepted all of the criticism as true.

I was so embarrassed by you. I hated the way you looked and I hid you away from the world hoping no one would notice your flaws.

I wrongly blamed you for much of my pain, believing that you were the source of my problems. I convinced myself that it was your fault I had been so hurt, and I never hesitated to tell you so.

I was so heartless and misguided.

I have always been unfaithful to you. Regardless of how much you ever did for me, I was never happy enough with you. I've always wanted something else, something more, something different. You've never been good enough for me, though you've always been far more than I deserved.

I even tried to make you something different, instead of taking joy in what you already were. I tried to destroy your uniqueness instead of celebrate it. I tried to change you, and I yelled at you in anger because you weren't different, continually asking you why you couldn't be more like “that.”

I have deprived you of so much, and I have selfishly acted in ways that have jeopardized your health and strength. I have taken away your most basic needs and used them as a reward if you performed well. (Oftentimes I wouldn't even give them to you if you had). I punished you for desiring what feeds you your next breath, and I tried to train you to no longer crave those things, hurling insults at you when you did.

I have unrealistically expected so much from you, even in times of sickness, malnourishment, or injury. In moments wherein I should have been taking care of you, I didn't love you enough to allow you rest. Instead I called you weak and worthless for hurting, and I wanted nothing to do with you.

I hated you. I hurt you. I belittled you.

It hurts my heart just to think of how lowly I treated you, and I am ashamed of my actions. I would never allow someone I love to be treated in such a way, and yet I saw no fault in doing it to you.

I have been horribly wretched to you.

My dear friend, you were never wrong; I was.

I can never make up for the years of hurt and damage between us, but I can assure you our future together will be different.

I want to celebrate you. I want to praise you for the number of amazing things you do daily. I don’t thank you enough for your loyalty, nor do I commend you enough for your strength. You are an amazing creation, and I am astounded by your brilliance.

I want to tell you that you are beautiful, so beautiful, and that I am in awe of you. You are perfect as is, and I want to take delight in every imperfection. I am forever sorry that I tried to take away from you your uniqueness, not recognizing that it is what makes you who you are.  

I want to love you, and I want to love you well. I want to treat you as the special, radiant being that you are. I want to take care of you and respect what you need. 

You are wonderful. You are magnificent. You are stunning.

I am going to prove to you that things will be different now, though before I was blind to my faults and your beauty. I will strive to renew our relationship as it should have been from the beginning, and I will not allow anything to come between us.

I love you, I do.

Thank you for always being my faithful friend. Now, I vow to be yours.

Love, Mary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment