Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Made Beautiful by His Light

"Taking pictures is savoring life intensely, every hundredth of a second." -Marc Riboud 

I must say, I love photography. It used to be one of my favorite hobbies when I was younger, actually. I don't devote as much time to it now that I've gotten older, but it's rare that I spend a day outdoors without snapping a picture or two. I love to take a picture of something ordinary from such an angle in such a way that it appears beautifully extraordinary. 

Sometimes I'll see something that I think would make for a great picture, or something so magnificent I believe it should be captured, and I can't help but stop everything I'm doing to snap a photo. I've actually been known to pull right off the road as I'm driving for such an occasion- the picture to the right is a perfect example.

I took this photo one morning on my drive home to visit my family, and I pulled over to take this shot. Really, it's just a tree with some blue sky, but I think it's amazing.

Here's what I love so much about it: the simplicity of a dead tree is made so beautiful by the sunrise through the clouds behind it.

It's so symbolic. To me, it's a brilliant example of life with Christ- death is overshadowed and made beautiful by his light.

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

In a strange way, this picture puts life into perspective for me. I was the tree: dead in my transgressions, unable to create anything of glory, beauty, or eternal value on my own. Once the Lord was invited into my picture, however, the scene was entirely different as His life and light overtook mine and created something beautiful.

It's simple, really, but only the Lord's goodness and light can create glory and holiness. Without Him I am like a dead tree unable to bear fruit, but in Him I am like this precious scene worth capturing. 

"They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17:8

It is incredible what God can do with the ugliness of death- it is only the amazing, all-powerful God that can make death such a beautiful victory. 

"You are my lamp, O Lord; the Lord turns my darkness into light." 2 Samuel 22:29

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely post, Mary! You do have an eye for beautiful things; however your real talent is your ability to compare the Christian walk to what you see. Someone may develop a clearer understanding because of your lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you so much for your kind and loving words! That means a lot coming from the woman who raised me to seek and see the Lord.

    ReplyDelete