Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oh How I Adore My Prince Charming

“I want to meet my own Prince Charming someday.”

All of our dreams differ, even as we are children, but in almost every little girl’s dreams there is the fantasy of meeting a prince. We begin fantasizing about our Prince Charming as young girls and continue to do so for years and years to come. We dream all about a man, THE man, who will come in to sweep us off of our feet.

We dream of a man brave enough to come to our rescue; a man strong enough to slay the fire-breathing dragon; a man who will take care of us until the end of time; a man who will provide for us; a man who will love us unconditionally; a man who will treat us like a princess; a man who will wipe our tears when we cry; a man who wants us, even when we don’t want him; a man who chooses us. We dream of this man, we long for this man, and we pray for this man.

Does this man even exist? I mean, he’s perfect, right? Is such a prince even possible outside of fairytales? The answer is yes, yes, and yes.

How do I know such a prince exists? Because I have found him; I have found my Prince Charming.

When I first met my prince, I had no idea who he actually was. I knew him, yes, and I knew what he was all about, but I had no idea that I would one day find him to be my prince. I was very young when I first met him and I sometimes only spoke to him out of obligation, because he was a family friend and it was what I was told I should do. I think that my mom knew all along how I would see him differently once I was older, because she always encouraged me to talk to him. She seemed to always be talking about how great he was and how much she loved him (and my mom is an incredibly smart woman) so I figured that he MUST be something really wonderful.

As I grew older, I started to talk to him a little bit more. He became a pretty good friend, but I certainly never thought he was my prince. It’s not that I thought he wasn’t a good enough prince; it’s that I didn’t even know he was a prince! It’s like he was a prince in disguise and was just waiting for me to realize it. (I wish he would’ve had a sign that said, ‘I’m a prince,’ because that would have made it a lot easier. But looking back on it, maybe he did). So, not knowing that my best friend was actually my prince, I waited patiently for my handsome prince to come find me and sweep me off my feet.

I waited and waited for years.

In those years, my friend and I grew apart. I don’t think that we necessarily grew apart from each other; I think that I just grew apart from him. My life took me in a different direction than where he was going, and so I just stopped talking to him. I wasn’t a very good friend to him after that and I felt like I disappointed him almost every day. He tried to talk to me all the time, but I ignored him for years.

I didn’t know he was my prince back then, but he was. He acted like a prince and treated me like a princess even when I ignored him. Regardless of the way I treated him, he told me every day that he loved me. He would remind me in every way possible, even when I didn’t want to hear it, that he would always love me no matter what. He continually pursued me even when I insisted that I was not interested. He showered me with gifts and tried to make me happy even when I wanted nothing to do with him. The more that I pushed him away, the harder he pulled to win me over.

Ok, so let’s cut to the chase.

The point is: I found him. My prince, after pursuing me for years and years, finally got my attention. I’m not entirely sure how he did it, because he hadn’t changed from the start. He was always a prince; I just failed to realize it. Nevertheless, he caught my eye and he captured my heart and since then, he has been everything that I’d always dreamed my prince would be and I am absolutely crazy about him.

My prince was brave enough to come to my rescue and save me.
John 3:16-17, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.”
Romans 10:13, “For whomever will call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

My prince is strong enough to slay the fire-breathing dragon.
John 16:33, “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world.”
1 John 4:4, “You are from God and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.”
Psalm 28:7-8, “The Lord is my strength and my shield … The Lord is their strength, and He is a saving defense to His anointed.”
Job 9:4, “He is wise in heart and mighty in strength.”

My prince is strong enough to carry me when I am weak.
Isaiah 40:29, “He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power.”
Isaiah 46:4, “And even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you; I will bear you and I will deliver you.”

My prince is strong enough to bear my burdens.
Matthew 11:28, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
Psalm 55:22, “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall.”

My prince promises to provide and care for me.
Philippians 4:19, “And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.”
Psalm 121:7-8, “The Lord will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul. The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.”
(Also see Luke 12:22-31).

My prince loves me unconditionally.
Isaiah 54:10, “For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake but my lovingkindness will not be removed from you.”
Ephesians 2:4-5, “But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ.”
Jeremiah 31:3, “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with lovingkindness.”
John 15:10, “Just as the Father has loved me, I have also loved you.”

My prince wipes my tears.
Psalm 34:18, “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
2 Corinthians 1:3, “Blessed be the God of all comfort who comforts us in all our affliction.”
Psalm 46:1, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”

Everything that we as little girls dreamt about, my prince was, is, and always will be.

My prince is strong; strong enough to carry my sin, your sin, and the world’s sin to the cross. My prince slays my dragons and fights my battles. My prince protects me, provides for me, and guides me. My prince loves me more than I can fathom and will love me in the same way until the end of time. My prince sought me; He pursued me even when I ignored Him and ran in the opposite direction. My prince reminds me each day how much He loves me and each day He makes me fall in love with Him all over again.

My prince chose me, my prince saved me, and my prince loves me.
He’s better than any fairytale prince I could have ever imagined, and He’s mine.

Ps. He can be your fairytale prince, too. I think He would actually prefer it if I shared.

1 comment:

  1. By recognizing your true Prince, appreciating Him, loving Him, living for Him, you are perfectly situated to be happy, content with life, and experience all the blessings your Prince has to offer. You are also ready, and in the right place to recognize the perfect young man who may one day become your earthly prince!

    ReplyDelete